Lately, you have noticed some unusual goings on wherever you happen to be. Strange vehicles park outside your home and business for hours, and even your social media accounts are attracting out-of-the-ordinary attention.
These are just two methods the police and federal agencies use to investigate white-collar crimes. If they suspect that you are using your business to launder money, they may have targeted you for investigation.
Pre-arrest counsel can improve your circumstances
Although you have not been arrested or charged with a crime, you can be sure the authorities are looking for evidence they can use against you. Pre-arrest counsel helps you create a strategy to protect against charges or fortify your criminal defense if an arrest occurs.
A few of the most valuable benefits of pre-arrest counsel during money laundering investigations include the following.
- It helps you avoid accidental self-incrimination
- It aids in determining the severity of your circumstances
- It ensures legal protection if the authorities interrogate you
- It allows you and your counsel to conduct a separate investigation
- It gives you a chance to explore your defense options ahead of an arrest
- It provides a protective communication buffer between you and investigators
The authorities at both state and federal levels seek prosecution aggressively in money laundering and other white-collar cases. You have much better odds of avoiding an arrest with early legal guidance.
If the police arrest you and file formal charges, having representation already in place improves your odds of acquittal. At the very least, you may succeed in getting the charges you face reduced. Accurate knowledge of New York money laundering laws can also benefit your situation.